Fairy Tales Challenge - Final Submissions

Hey guys! Can’t believe it’s submission time - doesn’t feel that long ago since the challenge started.

This is my final submission for Mina Harker, and you can find my WIP thread from the challenge here: Mina Harker: Vampyr Hunter and Warlock Extraordinaire!

Total Tris Count: 69,190
Both sets of materials are at 4k
Wireframe included as both screenshots and turntable video (YouTube links)

3 Likes

2 Likes

SNOW WHITE AGENT
She knows everything cause animals are they little helpers in combating crime!
FINAL SHOT IN MARMOSET:

FRONT BACK AND OTHER SHOTS:

TEXTURES SET 1 SNOW WHITE whole
AO
!
DIFFUSE

GLOSSINESS

METTALLIC

ROUGHNESS

SPECULAR

SET 2 BIRD
AO

DIFFUSE

GLOSSINESS

METALLIC

NORMAL

ROUGHNESS

SPECULAR

WIREFRAME 49 000 polygons:

Normal overview:

Roughness:

Metallic:

Glossiness:

Specular:

Sculpted in Zbrush
Retopology in Zbrush and 3dsmax
Textures Substanace Painter
Rendered Marmoset Toolbag
Wireframe and texture overview : 3ds max

4 Likes

2 Likes

Little RED Riding Hood

Meet my hero - RED!

In the future world, she works as a courier and delivers especially valuable goods through the most dangerous areas of the city. She have the super-technological equipment for this job. The backpack has a strong protection and can destroy the load, in case of unauthorized access. She can use her sniper rifle to fighting on the long range and a technological mask with a visor increases the accuracy. In case of close combat, RED carries two short blades.

The head of corporation, codenamed “Grandma”, instructed RED to deliver the cargo to a special customer. But agents from rival company B. S. G. W (Big Scary Gray Wolf) wants to intercept the cargo. Will RED be able to resist a dangerous opponent this time?

Video Clip on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Ga0KGd

Character - 67 081 tris
Enviroment - 15 710 tris

16 Likes

Post apocalyptic Frankenstein’s monster

The story is the same, but the time and manners are completely different…

Soft: zbrush, maya, substance painter, photoshop, marmoset

WIP Post apocalyptic Frankenstein’s monster

13 Likes

This is my modern day Pied piper ‘pest control’ edition
Rendered in Toolbag 3, Texture in substance painter and modelled with Zbrush, Maya, Marvellous (little bit of xgen)

4 Likes

The King of Ireland’s Son

Here is the final shot of my The King of Ireland’s Son reimagining, placing him far in the future beyond his original story and into the near future. The Sword of Light is a bit more literal, with the blade being a hard-light construct emblazoned with the sun and moon. For the final shot I took inspiration from the book’s beautifully illustrated cover, moments before the ravens attack. Everything has been rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 4, but I also created a version suited for Unreal Engine 4 using the packed texture system and building out an optomized material set using a master material and material instances.
I sculpted the character from scratch in ZBrush, retopologized in Maya, modeled the hard-surface objects in Maya, textured everything using Susbtance Painter and some materials I created in Substance Designer, rigged and posed in Maya, and rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 4.
The triangle count for the entire scene, including the environment assets, came out to a total of 79,121 triangles and two 4096px texture sets.

Front, side, and back views: 55,935 Triangles

A-pose front, side, and back views

Front, side, and back views of the sword: 2340 Triangles

Environment items: The rocks are 9863 each fro a total of 19,726, the ravens are 112 triangles each for a total of 1120 triangles.

Wireframes

Material overview and texture sheets

Additional shots of some of the details of the character

Marmoset viewer And lastly, my WIP thread! This project was an amazing learning experience and I was so happy to take part in this challenge. https://challenges.flippednormals.com/t/the-king-of-irelands-son/1403
5 Likes

Final Submission: Little Mermaid
Render done in Blender EEVEE
Faces : 48.942
Triangles: 98.038
Unfortunately I didn’t get to pose character

![Back|338x500]

2 Likes

So some additional info that I felt didn’t quite fit the main body of the post!
The timing of this was wild. Literally just days before the contest was announced, I had started gather reference for The King of Ireland’s Son because I wanted to model him as a game character. When the challenge was announced, I took it as a sign and gave it my all! This was a super fun learning experience and I’m really proud of how it came out.
Some of the inspirations for this project were the original illustrations from the book, Fortnite, and in particular, Overwatch. Overwatch already has a ton of medieval and fantasy elements enhanced with science-fiction, so I took inspiration from both its style and themes.

I owe a ton to fellow artists and friends for lending a critical eye and amazing constructive criticisms that help push both me and the project to the best it could be.
I had initially planned to render entirely in Unreal Engine 4, but realized Marmoset would serve the project better. Still, the character is fully game ready and I may eventually put him up on Artstation as an asset for folks to use!

The entire character, including all the extra elements, was condensed to just 1 master material, 1 eye clearcoat material, with 8 material instances built from those two.
This is the Unreal render, The King of Ireland's Son but given that it’s using things like Unreal’s skybox, landscape, and water materials, it didn’t fit the rules for the final submission. Still, really proud of how this came out too!
I haven’t dived into face rigging before, and even in the case of this, it was a very simple rig. Still, it allowed me to create what may be my best piece of very professional animation:

All in all, I’m super proud of this project. It helped me learn a lot, connect to a lot of new folks, and helped me grow as an artist! I’m looking forward to my next project utilizing what I’ve learned.

2 Likes

Beauty and The Beast
55K Tris

(Marmoset renders)

(Zbrush)

(Texture)

(Concept)

(Blockout)

9 Likes

I decided to rethink Robin Hood and make my own version from the future, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to finish my project.I hope you like what I’ve done. )
Zbrush sculpt and render, modeling and cleanup in Maya,

8 Likes

I don’t know how I finished this. I had originally worked on a very elaborate and badass jaeger-esque wolf mech for my red riding hood which you could see in my progress thread but I got carried away with the functional side of robot modelling and details that my poly count even after retopology ran away from me.

I Was going to quit but didn’t taste right so I started and finished the drone over the course of 24 hours… somehow. I’m naming it the huntsmen drone H.A.T.I. because it would compliment my mech wolf( which I’ll probably call Fenrir or something along those lines) when I inevitably finish it for my portfolio.

I feel like I made the challenge harder for myself by being too ambitious and in future I may need to learn how to keep my drive for something cool and challenging in check. I wish I could have had more time to polish everything but the fault is entirely my own. I’m just glad I didn’t quit and can end this challenging keeping that fact in mind. Good luck to everyone, I wish you all the best in your adventures. Thank you

2 Likes

That`s what happens when you meet puss in the boots in the future. Thank you people who made this challenge happen , learned a lot and had a great time! Had a lot of Ideas on it, happy to accomplish at least some of them. Hopefully see you soon again!

turntable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFOuCmLt6M
High poly - Zbrush and MoI3d, UV - RizomUV, retopo - Maya, baking - marmoset, textures - substance painter and photoshop, render -marmoset.
I could not upload marmoset viewer here so here is my cloud link on it from my google docsMarmoset viewer

WIP thread

4 Likes

Hello there, here is my take on the myth of Midas.

“Greed bring greed, Prince Midas is a young mercenary, his desire for gold was not enough he needed more”

I learnt a lot in this project first time i made a character that complex for realtime
Just to mention a few of what I discovered with this challenge, first time making hair cards for realtime and first time I used marvelous designer !
Render in Marmoset
I didn’t understand how to make a public marmoset viewer link so here’s a link to download my mview file. Link to mview

And last but not least the link to my WIP where i share a little bit about the story and the process !
Link to the WIP

Thanks for the challenge, that was awesome !

4 Likes

D4-PHROG Prince 2050 - Here is my final submission everyone! I had a lot of fun in this challenge, and hopefully I can join in on some future ones as well! Things became a little hectic in the end between schoolwork and debating on final pose and what render platform I should go with. I hope you enjoy my creation. Thank you Flipped Normals for a fun challenge and such a gracious time period in which to complete it. Good luck to everyone in the challenge, I wish you the best!

Final image rendered in Unreal Engine -

HDRI with additional lighting and image plane and small floor plane textured -

Additional Views -

Poly Count -

UV Layout -

Link to my Progress

Link to my IG for more progress images and additional renders.
https://www.instagram.com/oneshotat1760/

5 Likes

Excellent job! I love the lighting so much! Awesome work!

Well, I did what i could, I’m a little disapointed I didn’t get to where I wanted, but still proud of what I’ve accomplished, since it’s my first time reaching this level of completion for a Game Ready Character.

Here’s my Highway Wolf from Red Riding Hood. He’s a vile thief mugging innocent travelers.

Posed Scene in Unity :slight_smile:

Front, Side and Back view in Blender Eevee because I liked it a little better there, since I’m still a noob on proper game engines lol

Wireframe on Maya (still learning how weird it is to take something from Zbrush and sending to other softwares, so don’t mind him under the floor…

Got him to 38k Tris.
I retopoed the main body and some of the clothes and the dagger on Maya
Also learned to UV, even if just a little bit lol

Main body UV.

Struggled a lot with textures, and made the mistake of going for 4k textures even though I didn’t need…
Used Substance Painter to bake all the maps
I made a UV tile for each asset he has, so… Yeah…

But I gotta say I’m super proud of the dagger!!:smiley:

Well, I wanted to have an animation for him, but I struggled a lot with textures and rigging.
I tried it in Maya and in Blender (Blender felt a little less complicated).
I actually got to make controls for him, but they kept breaking the mesh, so I decided to just bind the skin straight to the armature and made some support bones just so I could pose him.

Well, it’s not at the point I wished to reach, but I have learned a LOT during these days making him and I’m super proud of it! Thank you for the opportunity and I’ll make sure to get better (and more organized!!) results next time!! :smiley:

EDIT:
Just adding some extra and better renders here made on Eevee just to feel better about how he turned out. I’m super happy I finally learned a way to make the camera behave properly and learned this simple grass setup, so I had to post it here too :smiley:

5 Likes

Dunno know if I made it, but I did the best I could with the time I had.

7 Likes

Finally I have finished. My first ever character creation I am just happy I finished In time. It wasn’t without its headaches or astounding level of computer crashes, I have been burning the candle at both ends for the entire month of April and am finally ready to rest.
I had difficulty bringing my character from substance painter into blender so I had to learn how to use unreal for the final renders which is unfortunate because I had my scene staged In blender but did not have the time to replicate it.

Sculpted In Zbrush
Retopology done in blender
texturing was done in substance painter

Final Renders were done in Unreal Engine 4 115K tris (in blender I had 90K polys I am unsure if those are representing the same thing or not )

Texture Overview 2 4K map sets body parts on one all clothing on the other

I couldnt find a way to render wireframes relliably in unreal so I took these in substance painter .

Final Renders In Unreal

Thank you for the opportunity It was a fantastic way to test my skills as a novice 3D artist I have learned so much and pushed past every barrier. I hope to do It again sometime soon and do twice as much in half the time. Goodluck to everyone!!!

6 Likes