The King of Ireland's Son

Progress since last post, continued refinement on the face and beginnings of hair! I’ve also completed the body blockout and used it as reference for refining the costume.

Hair without the hair

Finally back! I have more time this month to dedicate to this which I’m happy about. Blocking out the outfit:

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to create my own base body mesh for a while and decided now was the time! I’ll be importing this topology into ZBrush and fitting it to the body for the low poly as well as serving as the base for making the clothing topology now that it’s been blocked out.

lots of progress on the high poly! Got some great feedback that helped a lot, both on the sculpt and on the expanded reference sheet!

More work from today, got another round of much-needed feedback that helped address some of the problems I was having with his face. Additionally some improvements to his overall silhouette

Small details, shoulder pad improvements, and shoes!

Knife! And shinguards! And straps!

Retop time! Having already created the base geometry, retoping is more about just shaping that geo to the existing mesh rather than needing to do any retoping from scratch, at least for the main body stuff

More retopology progress! I got excited and tossed the model into Mixamo and was really happy with the results. Back to retoping!

1 Like

Retop and UVs complete! On to Substance to paint him up

1 Like

One tumultuous day of baking, bugfixing, rebaking, crashing Substance Painter, rebaking later, first pass on the textures complete!

1 Like

Day 2 of texturing complete!

Sword! And some dirt!

Lots of wrestling with tech and incremental tweaks, hence the lack of updates over the past couple days. But, finally getting into constructing materials, posing and rendering! Next up are continued incremental improvements and then putting together the final submission thread. Everything is being rendered out in Unreal

More progress after a round of feedback, swapped the ground plane for a rock and utilized Unreal 4.26’s water tools to create an ocean cliffside

Additionally, I’ve begun setting up the Marmoset scene as well for the turnaround, wireframe, and material renders

1 Like

Final day! This (should) be my near-last post in this WIP thread as the next things I will be doing will be gathering together the materials for my final render and posting to the “final submissions” thread!
I also upgraded to Marmoset Toolbag 4, the upgraded lighting of raytracing is pretty amazing!
Until then, here are some of the renders that will be showing up there:
(MTB 4)

(Unreal Engine 4)

Remember to submit it under the final submissions! The deadline is today and it would be a shame not to have yours included :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup! Putting together my final submission images now, there’s a lot of them and I wanna make sure they’re well formatted :grin: thank you for the reminder!