Horror Challenge 2023 - Final Submissions

This is my take on the Wendigo. Once a great hunter, this creature turned to cannibalism and became a true monster. With his glowing red eyes, long yellow claws and teeth, he could chase his human prey down with ease.

I had a lot of fun with this challenge, and although I’m pretty happy with the result, I wish I had a little more time to make a proper scene for him to lurk in.
Here’s the final Image:

Front, Back and Side views:

I have a marmoset viewer file as well, but I wasn’t uploading to I put it on my artstation Instead: ArtStation - Wendigo FlippedNormals Horror Challenge, Caitlyn Calloway

7 Likes

WIP, Wireframe and Textures:

1 Like

This is my Entry for the Horror Challenge

Ressurected Soldier

Front Side and back view:

Wireframe:

Textures:

For the chainmail I used different noises on different UV maps because of the instanced chains so the textures can’t be exported.

Work in progress:

I really enjoyed working towards a final image and I’m really happy with where the experimenting has brought me. Thank you to FlippedNormals for hosting this challenge. Good luck and well done to all other contestants.

7 Likes

Hi everyone,
This is my final submission for this Horror challenge 2023.
My character is Drolta a vampire sorceress from the animated castlevainia series.
I had fun with this challenge, I explored a lot of workflows during project especially using bifrost for the first time to simulate the flames :smiley:, though I wish there was more time but it is what it is :sweat_smile:.

Software used

• Modeled in: Zbrush
  • Textured in: Substance painter
  • UV and Rendering: Maya, Arnold

Good luck everyone.

Final render

Front, side and back views

Wireframe and textures

WIP’s

texture WIP’s

Emissive WIP’s
![texture progress 12a|690x431]

(upload://g49gX9qsXqsafiMFt4yDzrpohMt.jpeg)

3 Likes

Here is the final version of my Bloody Mary, hope you like it!

Turn around and Wireframes

Textures

WIPs

8 Likes

We all have a hunger! (Vampirish Thing)
Was a great pleasure participating this challenge, and to be between so many good work from passionate artists. I really fell a evolution from when i start the challenge, to this moment now. Congratulations to everyone involved!

About the process, all done with Zbrush and Maya.
Sculpted in Zbrush, some modeling in Maya, all textures/maps painted with polypaint in Zbrush, all lookdev done in maya, hair done with xgen, render with arnold.
First i did a quick 3d sketch in zbrush using zspheres, finding the gesture and the masses.

After that, also with zspheres, did the base sculpt, defining the proportion and the anatomy.

Then i transfer those base sculpts to a base mesh and due to time restrictions i already put them on the final pose, i use the sketch as reference. From that i keep the sculpting on pose, and then begin painting the textures.

Since was not for animation, i go to the render with a denser mesh.

Thanks so much for the opportunity of participating this challenge, cheers everyone!!!

12 Likes

This is my final submission, and I’m very excited to share the results. There’s nothing more to say than it was truly a great experience. I had never been in any kind of 3D modeling-related competition before, so I definitely learned a lot. It was also one of my first times using Zbrush, so I gained a lot of knowledge about the program, although I still have a long way to go.

To tell you a bit about my piece, I decided to create my own version of La Llorona, a creature from Mexican stories. This woman is rumored to have killed her children by drowning them in a river near her home and always weeps for them.

I hope you like it, and good luck to all the great artists around here doing incredible things.

2 Likes

Here is my submission “serial killer”…My initial plan was a bit too ambitious…Had to change it over time…Somehow completed it in time… :sweat: :sweat: Highpoly was sculpted in zbrush, and textured in Substance Painter, and everything other than that was done inside blender…

3 Likes

Undead King - Final Submission

Hey everyone, I’m really excited to share the piece I’ve been working on for this challenge.

For this project I used Blender for modeling, sculpting, retopo, UV’s, and Rendering (Cycles), and Substance 3D Painter for texturing

Final Render:

Side & back views:

Wireframe render:

Additional Renders:

Texture overview (I used a lot of UDIM’s:)

Work in progress images:

Thank you for checking out my submission! And thank you all so much for this opportunity, it was really great. I had lots of fun and learned a lot.
I’ve seen some great artwork on here! best regards to everyone.

10 Likes

Here’s my Final submission for Death Keeper Hope u all like it

i mainly used blender ,zbrush, substance painter for this This was rendered in Eevee

![Screenshot 2023-11-19 153646|390x500]

Textures Used:

10 Likes

Hello Amazing CGI Artists!, My name is Roland Watt, insta @rolandwattart, and I am very excited to be learning and working hard at this kickass challeneg along side all of the incredible spooky art that you all have shared. Seriously fantastic work everyone.

Today I will be sharing not only my first CGI art competition peice ever, but also this was the first time I have worked with UV’s and Baking as well as my first time using substance painter for texture.

I present to you all, The Grumpkin!

“Beware the Grumpkins in their patch, beware child lest yee be snatched!”

7 Likes

3 Likes

Thank you again to Flipped Normals for hosting this challenege…I learned so sooo much!..I’m reallt excited to become a part of this community!

4 Likes

Final submission to Wicker Wraith

Monster hiding in fields and marshes. Looking for prey in isolated farmhouses and communities. He stores parts of his victims in a wicker basket that he never tooks off. Nobody know from where it came but they say it was human before.

Final render and some wip shots

WIP

Textures

Wireframes and sides

3 Likes

Final Submission - Lady of the Swamp

aka unfinished project n°666

Uploading: SideViewL.jpg…

12 Likes

Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to complete the work; I only found out about the challenge on October 31st. But I can show you an almost finished model. All that’s left to do is make a rig and finish the textures (I’ll post photos of the textures here too). Of course, I will finish this project, and thank you very much for conducting such cool challenges.

4 Likes

Final Submission for 2023 Horror Challenge.
Pumpkin Monster.

All modeling and sculpting was done in ZBrush along with poly paint for the textures.

Final

Front, Sides and Back

Wireframe

Work in progress shots

3 Likes

Hey everyone ! Welcome to the world of horror! Today, I present to you a character who will make your nightmares come true: The Nun

2 Likes

Final Submission - Azázél
My story is related to the Celtic festival of Samhain and one of its main symbols, the pomegranate. According to belief, this fruit is connected to the underworld: Persephone ate pomegranate seeds and thus became the queen of the underworld in the realm of Hades, lord of the dead.
In my story, the devil sends a servant up on Samhain night to collect souls for him. This creature will be my character of choice.
Whoever accepts the pomegranate from him and eats, it sells his soul.

Final render:

Front, side and back views

Wireframe shots

Accessories with the textures

Texture maps:

WIP shots

I really loved to working on this challenge, so thank you! I hope you’ll like it!

5 Likes

My final Submission “HANDS OF BLOOD” (The Hanno Experiment)

THE HANNO-PARASITE EXPERIMENT

A new strain of parasites has been discovered in [REDACTED] after careful examination of a newly delivered patient in the mental facility of [REDACTED]. The 31-year-old male patient has shown symptoms of Paranoia, insomnia, self-harm and uncontrollable laughter. We decided to start an experiment and mutate the parasite. After some tests we noticed the strain had evolved, resulting in a transformation on the back of the patient. He seemed to be in control of the matter that grew out of him.

The situation has worsened. The mysterious matter formed into elongated arms. We had to restrain the patient as it started to latch out. The arms tried to suffocate the patient several times, leading to lasting brain damage due to oxygen loss. Every attempt to restrain it failed as it kept breaking free, harming the patient by scratching and dislocating joints. What have we done…

Inspired by Parasites and mushrooms that eat into the matter, zombifying them and games like SCP, the Backrooms and a certain person who serves as the face. (You might recognize him)

Stats about the mesh: 252k tris, 5 materials, 3 maps each.
Purpose: Figurine
Material: Plastic, Vinyl
Software used: Maya, Substance Painter, Zbrush, Marmoset 4

FIRST THE FINAL SHOTS, THEN SELECTED WORK IN PROGRESS.

I selected some work-in-progress shots, all of them can be found in my full thread:
https://challenges.flippednormals.com/t/horror-challenge-hands-of-blood-the-hanno-parasite-experiment/2084

2db01ea9404e0b1c3c64c4034df33714e28a231d_2_690x369

It’s been wonderful, loved doing this challenge!

Here are my socials:
TWITTER / X
LINKEDIN Looking for work!))
ARTSTATION

10 Likes