Horror Challenge 2023 - Final Submissions

When does the challenge end?

Challenge Countdown:
Due to a mistake on our end, there were issues with the countdown timer.
Because of that, we’re extending the challenge by an additional 2 days and the final deadline will now be Wednesday, November 22 at 11.59 pm UTC

This is the Final Submissions thread for our Horror Challenge.

You will only be allowed 1 submission in this thread. When you feel like you’ve pushed yourself as far as you can and there’s nothing else to do, post it here.

If you’re unsure about the rules, check out our Rule Thread

Final Submission

• 1 final render of your character - 1,920px+ on the longest edge.
  • Front, side and back views of your character - 1,920px+ on the longest edge.
  • Wireframe shots and a texture overview + any additional renders you wish to include
  • A minimum of 3 Work in progress images to show your journey from start to finish
  • (Optional) Include the final character in an online viewer, such as Sketchfab or Marmoset Viewer.

We’re really excited to see what you come up with for your final entry :smiley:
Good luck!

14 Likes

my pumpkin monster for halloween i made as a fun exercise

3 Likes

My Final Submission…“The Wolfman”. Modeled in Zbrush, Textured in Blender and Krita and Rendered in Maya with Arnold. I set a very small depth of field on the Arnold 3dcamera so that only the Wolfman would be in focus and the moon out of focus. The Hair and fur were created in Maya’s XGEN and groomable splines. I had to build a custom rig first before posing the character.

Viewpoint Capture
Rig Gif
Rig Still

5 Likes

The death
this is my final submission

4 Likes

4 Likes

My new pet Lynx has become a zombie, This is my character for this Halloween 2023, I was studying animal anatomy, I created everything on my own, I used #zbrush to model the bones and skin, so I could turn my main character into a Zombie, the textures were made with Mari and substance painter, and the #groom in #houdini

Views

Wireframe and textures

More Renders
Zbrush

Houdini renders

you can see a little video with the process here

and you can see more details in my artstation
ArtStation - Lynx Zombie, Guillermo Cortes

17 Likes

The Effigy. A demon walking amongst the shadows, a demon who answers to hatred.

Headshot Renders :slight_smile:

Extra Renders with different lighting to play with mood.

Final Character turn around. His story is based around voodoo thus having effigies on his horns and he is covered in nails and ropes. :slight_smile: I wanted this to be a creature that looks menacing, and so I wanted to have him hunched over making it appear as if he is hovering over you. :slight_smile:

Texture overview on shells

Wireframe Shots after re-topo

Final Sculpt WIP shot

Baking WIP shot

Texture WIP shot

extras. I made a lot of notes throughout the process

Final scene WIP

10 Likes

Orphan Girl

She’s showing you the drawing about what she saw last night on her bedroom door. She’s so proud!

Final render

Front view

Side view

Back view

Portraits

Wireframes

Main textures

WIPS
First sculpt session

3-min

Retopology Testing

Marvelous Designer to Zbrush

Substance Painter

Teeth test render

Project Breakdown

Eye Setup

HD Geometry

Scene Breakdown

Thanks for taking a look at my submission, I hope you like it. This challenge has been a lot of fun thanks to the freedom we have been given. I have tried to stick to an industry standard pipeline, so I think I have learned a lot.

It will be a piece that will proudly be in my portfolio. Just like this girl with her drawing! :japanese_ogre:

10 Likes

The Flesh Harvester

2 Likes

3 Likes

the Damned Chicken :chicken: :

The Damned Chicken, an infernal abomination, emerges every Halloween near a house built on a former slaughterhouse to avenge the chickens massacred by humans. Its sinister appetite turns toward children, but there is a way to appease it. The only way to survive is to offer it sweets as a gift.

360 v2.6 (1)

At first, I wanted the child to have interaction with the damned chicken, but ultimately, I prefer to set the him aside. However, I still have some renders of the child to show

360.3 (1)

Messy outliner :see_no_evil:

And finaly all my WIP

7 Likes

Flower Demon Lythis
Hi! this is my Final version character for this challenge, I was inspired by Jigokuraku movie. I Dont have any background story right now, just doing fun stuff with my mind about the concept for this character.
Anyways, best regards Good Luck & Have Fun

Final Render

Front View

Back View

Side View

WIreFrame

Texture

Additional Image

9 Likes

Flesh Golem Final Render

Somehow the quality of the image, drops when i post it here, therefore i post a link from imgur.
https://imgur.com/a/T3i6dUx

Sketchfab Link

Front Back and Side

WhireFrame

Textures

BaseMesh

Final Mesh

I sped some quality time into making a small level in UE5, maybe i will animate the Golem in future.

https://imgur.com/a/0pDCIYr

This is all i have folks, I hope you like my work…was a awesome time for me, i’ve learn a lot of new things…and manage to finish a project, wich is utterly impossible for me :slight_smile:
Was awesome to see what everybody else did, there are so many talented and inspiring people in the competition so far, is amazing ^^

6 Likes

Leggies and Eggies - a Banshees tale
Just a fun title for a project that was equal parts fun and uncomfortable (growing pain wise and idea wise*
It was a super fun challenge to try and fit within 18 days as I am still new to the 3d world, but I am super happy with what I was able to accomplish and super thankful for the opportunity to participate in this challenge with sooo many talented and creative people. Anyways here’s my submission twisting the concept of the banshee. :slight_smile:

FinalRender:

WireFrame:

Textures:

WIPS/journey:

Additional photos:

Front/Back/ Side views:

Thanks again! Good luck everyone!

6 Likes

My take on “The Manananggal” - Final Submission.

READ: Not for the faint of heart.

A Manananggal is a mythical creature in the Philippines that can separate its upper torso from its lower body and fly into the night to suck the blood of its victims. It is often described as scary and hideous. Its most unnerving feature is the ability to detach its upper torso from its lower body, allowing it to fly in search of its prey

The Manananggal preys on humans, particularly pregnant women and fetuses. Using its elongated tongue, it is said to puncture the abdomen of a sleeping victim and feed on the unborn child’s blood or amniotic fluid. The Manananggal also feasts on the entrails of its victims, leaving a gruesome trail in its wake

The Manananggal’s origins can be traced back to pre-colonial Philippines, particularly the indigenous tribes of the Visayan region, such as the Bisaya, Hiligaynon, and Cebuano peoples. The term Manananggal comes from the Tagalog word “tanggal,” which means “to separate”.

Despite its fearsome abilities, the Manananggal is not without its weaknesses. To avoid detection during the day, it must reattach to its lower body before sunrise. If the lower half is found and destroyed while the Manananggal is hunting, it is unable to reattach and is left vulnerable to the sun’s rays, resulting in its death.

6 Likes

I had a blast with this contest. It’s the first one I’ve ever entered and it was right up my interest alley. Sculpted in ZBrush. Textured in Substance Painter. Rendered in Blender Cycles. The final image was rendered at 16K and then scaled down to 4K. Completely unnecessary to render that large, but I wanted plenty of resolution to work with to crop. Thanks to Flipped Normals, and the other artists; great work everyone.

My final image:

Various views of the character solo:

Wireframes:

Textures and maps:

Other images:

Background with lighting

Leg skin closeup:

The boy and his blanket:

3 Likes

Thanks for tagging along, sorry I couldn’t finish the piece I just ran out of time :smiling_face_with_tear:

10 Likes

If you ever have the time to finish it, please post it somewhere, i bet it would look awesome. And i would love to see it done :grin::muscle:

1 Like

Ok, so I think I’m going to call this done. It’s been a bit of a bumpy road, but I have enjoyed every moment of this challenge. I started by making a base for a bust which was going to be my final piece. It went through the whole process i.e. sculpting, low, mid, high frequency, retopology, texturing, grooming, lighting etc. Only to realise later that an entire model was required :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Nevertheless, I was able to salvage the original base I had created, sculpt a body and take it through the same process. Im sure that at some point ill come back to this model and see what I can do to improve my work as I know that it is absolutley not at a level needed in this industry, but as a great tutorial maker once said ‘its an iterative process’. I would like to have included an environment of some sort, perhaps have the character on a balcony at night in the rain, but now I have a better idea of how to approach a challenge like this for the next time!! Thanks to the Flipped Normals team for starting this challenge and getting us to push ourselves toward a deadline, and good luck to all the other fantastic artists who have taken part, your work is truly inspiring and I’m just happy to be here amongst you!!

Software used:

Zbrush
Substance Painter
Blender
Photoshop (final colour grading)

‘Vampire Werewolf Hybrid’ Final render with colour grading:

Wireframe:

130ad8fe289521058bb213e5ff991cf1f58d27d0_2_398x500

Retopology:

Paint textures (base, roughness, scattering):

Front, side, back:

Portrait:

Render test:

Bonus (alternative version and original bust in a shirt and blazer with different grooming)

References:

7e3d8395caebc1c609b30f7ea1e277aea4eada4c_2_594x500

6 Likes