[Warlock Challenge] – [Azubah]

Heyyyyy! This is my first entry for the Warlock challenge.

This fella here is the warlock Azubah. Once respected and well liked wizard amongst the common folk. However, he took a liking in the occult and drove himself mad in his endless thirst of knowledge. It’s been said that he wanders the forests looking for lone travelers to participate (more times unwillingly than not) in his dark and twisted sorcery. Some even believe that he’s nothing more but a tale parents tell their children to make them behave. Anyhow; no one likes to go wandering in the wilderness alone, especially at night and everyone sure as hell knows why.

Sooooo, here’s the first blockout/concept i came up with. Not yet sure if i’d go towards a more stylized or realistic look. Think i’ll give him more accessories/maybe shrunken heads or skulls hanging from waist) and maybe a big ass spell book to hold in his other hand. Next step is refining the base mesh and start retopoing. Not exactly looking forward to that, to be honest :/. Not sure if will be redoing the clothes in Marvelous designer, depends on the look i’m ultimately going for.
I’m excited about to challenge! Good luck to everyone participating, comments are more than welcome!

3 Likes

Today I got time to sculpt, retopo, UV map and texture this peculiar spell book. Probably not the final version tho.

3 Likes

Refined the face, hands and feet, did retopo and UV mapping for the body. Decided to give him these cartoony body proportions. In order to save polys I left it very low at places that will be covered with clothes. I’m glad the retopoing is behind, for the body at least!
Next I’ll redo the clothes.

1 Like

Did the clothes in Marvelous Designer. I think they turned alright, tho it’s pretty far from my concept.
Also tried Maya’s auto rigging for posing. I keyed a couple of test poses and exported the animation to Marvelous Designer. It worked great for my purposes and got me really hyped since this makes the process so much easier than I expected it to be.

4 Likes

Spent the day getting this staff done; sculpted the skull, did retopo and UVs, then threw it in Substance Painter to see if looks alright baked with the high poly version. The textures are still to be done properly. The skull also needs some cracks and imperefctions I think.
I’m trying to keep these posts fairly frequent since I feel it pushes me to do at least something whenever I got time. I think i’ll be fun tracing these back when this project is ready.


Tried to come up something different for the head area. Guess I’ll be ditching the bone mask thing since I like how the clothing and the crown frame the face and make it pop out. Still a quite rough blocking of the idea.

1 Like

Here’s what I’ve been up to lately.
Today I Polypainted the face in Zbrush and exported it to Substance Painter. I’ve been also experimenting with some more poses and tried out doing hair which turned out quite allright(tho u can barely see it in the picture). Also did some more props for him. I still got quite a lot of polys to spare so I’m thinking if he’d have some more props like bottles or whatever.
I think I’ll be ready to start texturing for real in a week or two. I’m trying to hurry a bit cause I got no experience in any real time renderer and I wanna have some time to figure that part out properly.


2 Likes

Here’s where I’m at right now.
I installed Marmoset Toolbag, which I will be doing the final render in. Was kinda scared of it at first but it turned out to be an awesome renderer; super easy and fast to use.
Obviously there’s still much to do but I’m definitely progressing.

4 Likes