Rules for the Warlock Challenge - Environment Design

Environment Design
6 March 2020 - 20 May 2020 This challenge has ended

We’re proud to present the FlippedNormals Warlock Challenge!
This is a challenge where you can let your imagination run wild. We’re huge fans of fantasy, and with this theme there’s plenty of opportunity to explore different kinds of characters and environments.

Traditionally a warlock is restricted to a male witch. However, we want to encourage you to explore this concept further. You’re not necessarily beholden to gender or even dark fantasy. If you think you can put a modern spin on this trope by mixing it with horror or even sci-fi, have at it!

Environment Design Brief

This is a hybrid category that accepts 3D, 2D and mixed media submissions.

Create an environment that you feel fits within a world inhabited by warlocks!
Whether you’re presenting your work in 3D or 2D, you will need to present a range of elements that make up your final piece as well.

This is to give special attention to these pieces - elements that help set the tone and embodies the emotion of this environment. It can be anything from a crate filled with trinkets, a tower where our warlock resides or anything in between.
A minimum of 3 such elements is required to be presented alongside the final image.

Final Submission

• 1 final image of your environment - 1,920px+ on the longest edge.
  • An image or images of at least 3 hero pieces you feel embodies the world you’ve created - 1,920px+ on the longest edge.
  • (Optional) Work in progress images to show your journey from start to finish

Judging Criteria

Your work will be judged based on a number of different criteria: The technical execution, the final aesthetics of the image - as well as your own creative flair. Are you able to tell a story through your environment? Does it evoke emotion? Think about the presentation, as well as the back story of the piece - and other defining characteristics you can display through the finished environment.

The theme lends itself to something over the top, flashy and colorful! Take advantage of this and create something memorable.

Feedback

We love to see the community thrive and grow and we highly encourage commenting on other people’s work - giving feedback and constantly pushing each other to become better artists. We know it takes time and everything helps.

Prizes

:1st_place_medal: 1st Place: ($1,400)

:2nd_place_medal: 2nd Place: ($450)

:3rd_place_medal: 3rd Place: ($275)

RULES

Deadline

The deadline for the Warlock Environment Design category entries is Wednesday May 20th, 2020 15:00 UTC

Winners Announcement

The winners will be announced Wednesday May 27th, 2020.

Work In Progress

• You’ll HAVE to keep an active thread of your progress with at least 3 WIP along with your final submission.
  • Title your thread ‘ [Warlock Challenge] – [PROJECT NAME]

FAQ:

• The entry must be made specifically for this challenge.
  • You can only make one submission per challenge.
  • All entries are for individual artists only and the submission has to be done by yourself – no collaborations allowed.
  • Feel free to post your progress on social media and make sure to tag FlippedNormals and use the hashtag #fnartchallenge
  • Feel free to blockout an environment in 3D and do a full paintover in 2D to accomplish your goal.
  • Your image has to be made up of at least 3 hero pieces, but can also be made up of 100. You just have to highlight the most important ones in a separate sheet.
  • The prize amount listed is the combined value of what you can win. There are no cash prizes included on top. I.e. the 1st place winner will win the prizes listed above, and they are worth a combined value of $1,400.

Good luck to everyone!

1 Like

What are the " 3 hero pieces" ??
This is unclear to understand.

1 Like

Is first prize WORTH $1400 total or is it $1400 cash plus the listed prizes? I’m a little confused

1 Like

@peekoyin Its very likely the total value of the prizes is “$1400” combined

As in if you were to buy those all together you would pay $1400 rather than getting 1400 cash and the products

1 Like

It’s to highlight specific props or elements in your scene that you feel represent the world or the characters that inhabit it.

For example if you created a warlocks workshop, you might want to highlight a magical flask, a book of spell and a selection of magical stones.

These 3 pieces will have to be presented on a separate sheet in greater detail so the viewer can get a better understanding of the scene.

That’s the combined value of the 1st prize. There will be no cash prizes

Hi,

I’ve just started a project at university that would fit this theme perfectly. Ive only made 3 assets for it so far. If I referenced those out could I continue with this idea for this submission?

Brad

Thx. This is what I imagined.

As long as those assets aren’t used you’re fine. Everything needs to be bespoke for the challenge.

Ready to roll! jaja you cant use any concept made by an concept artist right?

Of course you can, as long as you get their permission :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am interested participating this challenge, and I am a 3D Artist. Could I use a 2D concept as reference to build the 3D scene?(I will ask for the permission)

Yes :slight_smile:

I will be putting my environment into UE4. Is there any rules against using megascans assets? I’m not so much interested in using the 3D models, the just the textures and materials.

That’s fine

2 questions:

1. Is fan art of existing IP allowed for the challenge?
  2. Guessing it’s a typo but it says WIP is optional at the top but below, it states it’s mandatory. Assuming it’s required?

Glad I discovered this challenge! Good luck yall!

You can let an ip inspire you, but do your own take on it.
Good catch, it’s a typo. Definitely required. Will fix asap

Hello,
i have a few questions

1. Do i need to render the hero pieces separately from the main picture, or can i do close up shots?
  2. Do i have to present all of the hero pieces on 1 image with max 1920px length, or can i use 1 image per piece?
  3. Do i need to include WIPs in my final submission?

and some general questions

1. Any chance that we get some form of feedback on what made the winning pieces stand above the rest?
    Just so we know what was done good, what could have been done better.
  2. Are the prizes per category, or are they for all the challenges together?

Thank you in advance.

Hey do i have to create a topic inside of the final submission tobic or in the normal warlock enviroment topic?^^

Would like to know as well how we submit the final environment :slight_smile: