Rules for the Fairy Tales Challenge - Real-Time Game Character

hi seeing as the engine is real time like UE4, would the use of xgen hair be allowed? seeing as ue4 supports it now?

As long as an real-time engine supports it (and not that it kills the performance to 1fps of course so it is still considered game ready) then it is totally fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, I was wondering If the characters must be based in a specific character of a specific tale or if it can be based in a more generic way. Like, any creature from mythology but not a specific one, a satyr but not Pan, just a satyr. Also, It has to be that character but in a modern universe or it can be just how I imagine the character, or my version of the character even if itā€™s in the original universe of the character?

I donā€™t know if this makes sense haha, also sorry for my english.

Hi there. please have a look back into the comments on this thread as your questions have been answered multiple times already. in short as long as it is linked to a story that is in the direction of fairy tales, myths etc. then you should be good.

Hello, So the challenge started almost a month ago. Would I be able to create an active thread from now for a character to still participate even though we are a month into the challenge? Also in terms of the poly count is it 50k quads that would spilt into 100k triangles or 100k polys/faces in total? Just a little confused thank you in advance!

Hi there. Sure if you make a thread now and keep us updated it should be good :slight_smile: and your polycount is also fine, as long as the polygon count is logical its good.

How do I create a thread for the challenge? By clicking the ā€œ+new topicā€ button in the challenge page?

This is my first time in here so I donā€™t know the basics, Iā€™ll appreciate any help

yes! thats how I did it. anyways have fun! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

My high poly version of the model is to hig or my computer is not good enuf to re-pose all the parts at the same time. So question 1: Can I use a old rigged charter to first pose, and then use it as a ā€œreferenceā€ and then pose my new charterer, one by one, part by part "over " it? " 2: And if I do this can I show the old rigged charterer in the WIP thread, or is that to ā€œunrelatedā€ and or distracting frommy current work?
Thanks in advance!

Hi there. yes this is fine, as long as your final submission will be of your brand new made character

Good! Thanks again! :smiley:

I have a few questions. Can I split up " two 4k texture sets" into smaller materials that would total that resolution (for the purposes of individual shader work in Marmoset). Or does it literally have to be two materials? (according the rules as they seem to be, it would take half my allowed materials just to apply anistropic shading to hair, ect.)

Also, you said we could use the full power of Marmoset, but Marmo can subdivide triangles, effectively making a very nice high poly render out of a low poly model. Can we use this feature?

As long as the texture resolution is logical this is fine.
As for using the full power of marmoset it still needs to be a model that also works in any game engine so it needs to have good topology and not an insane polycount so I would avoid using the subdivision tools.

1 Like

Hey! Is 2560x248 resolution ok? Or is it to much? Cause I donā€™t know how to interpret 1920+
And sorry for dumb question :<

I assume you are talking about image renders and not texture resolution? ifso then sure, that is fine

1 Like

Hi! I was wondering how I can change the thumbnail of my thread to my latest wip. How can I do that? I just donā€™t find the option :sweat_smile:

there should be a pencil icon next to your thread title. if you click that you can change the thumbnail. the image does already need to exist within the thread.

Iā€™ve seen the pencil icon there a while ago but itā€™s gone now. It seems as if itā€™s only possible for a month to edit a post. I can edit all my recent posts but not the ones that are older than 30 days or so. Guess Iā€™ll have to stick to my old thumbnail but thatā€™s okay.