Rules for the Fairy Tales Challenge - Real-Time Game Character

yes, Ofcourse :slight_smile:

1 Like

So just to clarify, would it be okay to take a fairy tale character and reimagine what they would be like in another pre-existing world/IP as long as it’s our own idea and concept?

Yes this would be ok. you are also allowed to use someone else its concept if it falls between the challenge topic but we prefer that people will come up with their own ideas and this is also something the judges will look at.

Okay cool, thanks for the clarification.

can i have more than 1 submissions?
like what if i have 2 really awesome ideas?
can i have 2 different artworks as submissions

Sure, you can have more submissions :slight_smile: but to be fair to other people you can only win 1 place. so for example that you can not win both 1st and 2nd place.

1 Like

alrit that’s awesome cause I’m kind of overflowing with ideas and 1 of them will not satisfy my creativity

Hey, quick question. I often like to use UDIMs in my game character workflow. Are UDIMs okay for this challenge. Sketchfab doesn’t currently support UDIMs, but Unreal has a workflow for them.

If it is part of a real-time rendering program then it should be fine :slight_smile:

Fantastic. I plan to use Eevee since Blender just got some really good UDIM support. For example, i just finished this guy and rendered him in Eevee, and the UDIMs came out perfect.

Is there a cut off date to when you can register/start your entry?

No, but we do require at least a few wip shots in your post so we do suggest to create a thread once you start with the challenge.

I just want to clarify two things…

1. if the total poly count is less than 100K can you have more than 1 character in a submission (for instance the 3 pigs)
  2. Do folktales and mythology both count in the challenge or will judges mark down submissions that are not in line with more traditional fairy tales. I ask because listed above are “The Golden Touch of King Midas” and “Dracula”, one being a myth and the other though popular is not traditional and is rarely viewed as a fairy tale, but more of a legend

If you would have full-on multiple characters then each character needs to stay below 100k polys. of course what we mostly look at is if it makes sense, so if the character has a sensible amount of geometry for the complexity.

as for your second question it does not have to be a traditional fairy tale. as long as it falls in the category fairy tale which happens to also often be myth’s

1 Like

Each below 100K in total, right? As in 30K,30K,30K to make 90K not each can be up to 100K

and when you say fairy tale which happens to also often be myth’s, just to be clear do you mean myths count as fairy tales in the challenge?

Is Greek Mythology also allowed?
Also can you add props- f.e. A chair and desk?

if you have 2 characters in a scene then each character can have up to 100k poly’s. but we do look at a sensible polycount. not every character would need 100k.

And yes you can also use myths.

1 Like

as long as it is in the form of a story then yes.
Also sure, you can add props to make your scene look nicer :slight_smile:

oh great I thought it would have to be a 30/30/30 split… does this mean each character can have 2 4K textures as well just out of curiosity

Yes this is correct. we look more at if it makes sense for a game character to have a certain amount of polys and textures/resolution rather than just have everything use as much as they can