Horror Challenge 2023 - Final Submissions

Flower Demon Lythis
Hi! this is my Final version character for this challenge, I was inspired by Jigokuraku movie. I Dont have any background story right now, just doing fun stuff with my mind about the concept for this character.
Anyways, best regards Good Luck & Have Fun

Final Render

Front View

Back View

Side View

WIreFrame

Texture

Additional Image

9 Likes

Flesh Golem Final Render

Somehow the quality of the image, drops when i post it here, therefore i post a link from imgur.
https://imgur.com/a/T3i6dUx

Sketchfab Link

Front Back and Side

WhireFrame

Textures

BaseMesh

Final Mesh

I sped some quality time into making a small level in UE5, maybe i will animate the Golem in future.

https://imgur.com/a/0pDCIYr

This is all i have folks, I hope you like my work…was a awesome time for me, i’ve learn a lot of new things…and manage to finish a project, wich is utterly impossible for me :slight_smile:
Was awesome to see what everybody else did, there are so many talented and inspiring people in the competition so far, is amazing ^^

6 Likes

Leggies and Eggies - a Banshees tale
Just a fun title for a project that was equal parts fun and uncomfortable (growing pain wise and idea wise*
It was a super fun challenge to try and fit within 18 days as I am still new to the 3d world, but I am super happy with what I was able to accomplish and super thankful for the opportunity to participate in this challenge with sooo many talented and creative people. Anyways here’s my submission twisting the concept of the banshee. :slight_smile:

FinalRender:

WireFrame:

Textures:

WIPS/journey:

Additional photos:

Front/Back/ Side views:

Thanks again! Good luck everyone!

6 Likes

My take on “The Manananggal” - Final Submission.

READ: Not for the faint of heart.

A Manananggal is a mythical creature in the Philippines that can separate its upper torso from its lower body and fly into the night to suck the blood of its victims. It is often described as scary and hideous. Its most unnerving feature is the ability to detach its upper torso from its lower body, allowing it to fly in search of its prey

The Manananggal preys on humans, particularly pregnant women and fetuses. Using its elongated tongue, it is said to puncture the abdomen of a sleeping victim and feed on the unborn child’s blood or amniotic fluid. The Manananggal also feasts on the entrails of its victims, leaving a gruesome trail in its wake

The Manananggal’s origins can be traced back to pre-colonial Philippines, particularly the indigenous tribes of the Visayan region, such as the Bisaya, Hiligaynon, and Cebuano peoples. The term Manananggal comes from the Tagalog word “tanggal,” which means “to separate”.

Despite its fearsome abilities, the Manananggal is not without its weaknesses. To avoid detection during the day, it must reattach to its lower body before sunrise. If the lower half is found and destroyed while the Manananggal is hunting, it is unable to reattach and is left vulnerable to the sun’s rays, resulting in its death.

6 Likes

I had a blast with this contest. It’s the first one I’ve ever entered and it was right up my interest alley. Sculpted in ZBrush. Textured in Substance Painter. Rendered in Blender Cycles. The final image was rendered at 16K and then scaled down to 4K. Completely unnecessary to render that large, but I wanted plenty of resolution to work with to crop. Thanks to Flipped Normals, and the other artists; great work everyone.

My final image:

Various views of the character solo:

Wireframes:

Textures and maps:

Other images:

Background with lighting

Leg skin closeup:

The boy and his blanket:

3 Likes

Thanks for tagging along, sorry I couldn’t finish the piece I just ran out of time :smiling_face_with_tear:

10 Likes

If you ever have the time to finish it, please post it somewhere, i bet it would look awesome. And i would love to see it done :grin::muscle:

1 Like

Ok, so I think I’m going to call this done. It’s been a bit of a bumpy road, but I have enjoyed every moment of this challenge. I started by making a base for a bust which was going to be my final piece. It went through the whole process i.e. sculpting, low, mid, high frequency, retopology, texturing, grooming, lighting etc. Only to realise later that an entire model was required :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Nevertheless, I was able to salvage the original base I had created, sculpt a body and take it through the same process. Im sure that at some point ill come back to this model and see what I can do to improve my work as I know that it is absolutley not at a level needed in this industry, but as a great tutorial maker once said ‘its an iterative process’. I would like to have included an environment of some sort, perhaps have the character on a balcony at night in the rain, but now I have a better idea of how to approach a challenge like this for the next time!! Thanks to the Flipped Normals team for starting this challenge and getting us to push ourselves toward a deadline, and good luck to all the other fantastic artists who have taken part, your work is truly inspiring and I’m just happy to be here amongst you!!

Software used:

Zbrush
Substance Painter
Blender
Photoshop (final colour grading)

‘Vampire Werewolf Hybrid’ Final render with colour grading:

Wireframe:

130ad8fe289521058bb213e5ff991cf1f58d27d0_2_398x500

Retopology:

Paint textures (base, roughness, scattering):

Front, side, back:

Portrait:

Render test:

Bonus (alternative version and original bust in a shirt and blazer with different grooming)

References:

7e3d8395caebc1c609b30f7ea1e277aea4eada4c_2_594x500

6 Likes

My Final Submission

“Medieval Zombie” inspired on the concept of Derek Laufman

Render in Marmoset Toolbag 4

front,side and back renders

Wireframe shots and a texture overview

Work in progress images

10 Likes

Hello, I wont manage to finish the project unfortunately, I am super motivated but I just saw it too late. this is all for me :slight_smile: Good luck everyone, cool to see what you guys have been working on!

if you would like to follow me on artstation:
https://www.artstation.com/tameryagli

5 Likes

My final submission

My character is about a demonic possession , it was made in zbrush high and low poly . The textures were made in substance painter and the render was made in maya with the render engine arnold .

I hope you like it

10 Likes

This is my final output for the Challenge,
The Undead Knight. Hope you like it, I really learned a lot especially in unreal and participating was fun. See ya in the next challenge.

Unposed:

Some wireframe:

The Textures:

Here is some of my progress, I didn’t have much images from the early stages unfortunately.

here I was trying to fix the lighting

6 Likes

Final Submission - Ant Queen

Work in progress images

8 Likes

Red Banshee

A banshee thirsty for blood that hunts people down. As a last act of humiliation for the human race, she wears their skin, stitched together, as a trophy.

PS: Due to the fact that I cant upload my work (new accounts cant post more than one picture apparently), I will post jsut the final render in here and the rest can be found on my Artstation at this link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dKW9yA
I hope that this won`t be a problem. Thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

The Forsaken Priest, exiled and abanndoned. Now wandering the lands above.

Hello, in this submission, I’d like to present a creature inspired by the H.P. Lovecraft theme. It tells the tale of a once-human priest who devoted himself to Cthulhu, only to be exiled and dishonored.

The software I used:
Zbrush, Maya, Blender, Substance Painter, Marmoset Toolbag, and Photoshop for layouting.

Final render:

Front, back, and side views:

Wireframe:

Textures (4096x4096):

Additional shots:

And now the Work in progress:
Not very fancy highpoly, my PC can’t handle too much poly counts. :joy:

robe-gif

Lastly, I will include my Marmoset Toolbag viewer. I’m sorry if the quality got reduced. Artstation has a size limit. :smiling_face_with_tear:
(P.S. I don’t know how to embed form Artstation, so I just inspect it, and copy the embed link.)

Thank you so much for checking my submission! It such a great blast to participate in this challage! I learned a lot and seen a lot of great artwork. Cheers to everyone involved! :grinning:

13 Likes

Hello everyone, this is my project for the challenge, I was inspired by several stories of serial killers, combining them with the terror that the characters gave in amusement parks in the 50s, along with cold and dark lighting, it took me to the idea to ask myself, what happens in the parks at night? … And this is the result. I hope you like it, for the project I used zbrush, substance, maya and ardonld. thank you.

5 Likes

Great work! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley:

Amazing work!

1 Like

Thank you, I’m glad you like it :smiley:

1 Like