Horror Challange - Cthulhu Priest

Hello, this is my first time participating challenge on Flipped Normal. Currently, I’m planning to create a Cthulhu cultist, but my concept might change over time, or perhaps it won’t. I aim to infuse it with an eerie and enigmatic ambiance. I hope to complete it on schedule. Best of luck!

1 Like

This is the blockout concept. I intend to have it wear a torn robe.

3 Likes

I’m starting to work on the face, still figuring out the structure and the appearance of the sea creature. I don’t think I will give it a face to maintain a mysterious look.

3 Likes

I’ve added some details to the face and torso. The character has a large brain, symbolizing its knowledge as an ancient being. I want to give a story about an exiled priest, so I give it a slender appearance, representing Its abandonment and the power that got tooken away.

6 Likes

I’ve added more detail to another part of the body. I don’t focus on the back side because it will be covered by the robe, so I just focused on the visible part.

And next I will continue with the robe while still adding and correcting some detail.

2 Likes

Blocking the robe wrinkle. I aim to give it a messy apperiance.

Just finished robe folds and wrinkles. I will add the detailed torn parts to the robe later in substance. This is going to be a field trip when baking :smiling_face_with_tear:

robe-gif

6 Likes

I love this so far. I’m really impressed at the all the lovely sculpted wrinkles.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m glad I found many great reference, it turned out better than I thought. ^^

Giving an identity of it’s homeland using a necklace. It was originally meant for the neck, but I think the wrist could be a better fit. And to tell that the necklace got droped to the ground and picked up. I haven’t add the damage detail yet.

3 Likes

Finished detailing the necklace, added chains, added staff and cleaned up the robe. I want to give the feel that the staff is just a plain piece of wood found along the way without any magical properties. Next, time to start on lowpoly.

8 Likes

I finally had some time to work on the low-poly. I’m hoping to finish it this weekend and try baking it.

3 Likes

The tentacles must be hell to animate and rig. :sweat_smile:
Looks awesome, well done.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes! they will be tricky haha, but it’s all part of the fun!

Finished the lowpoly. There might be some edit in some place if the nomral bake give bad result. Right now I have 53.000 triangles. Next I will try to bake normal map.

2 Likes

I forgot to upload my progression. So I’ve finished the baking step, and now it’s time for texturing.

I want to make the character to still have the human apperience by blending hard skin with human skin. By doing that I can give it a feeling of the priest was once a human. I added scattering on the human skin part to devide them.

skin

4 Likes

Wooden staff done, accesories done. Now to the robe.

4 Likes

Done the overall texture and also rigging for pose. Render testing will be done in Marmoset Toolbag. And since I will be using real-time render, I think I’ll use a simple planar background with a texture. And if there is still enough time, I will add more shapes to enchance the environment.

7 Likes

It’s been great to follow your progress on this. It just keeps getting better and better :slight_smile: There’s only 5 days left now, so remember to post your final result in the final submissions thread before the deadline has passed.

1 Like