Captain Hook, Space Pirate!

Not clean enough yet but getting there. Lots of work to do still. I started in on the upper arm this morning.

I always revisit trying to sculpt hard surface detail by hand… and I always fail, and default to the usual extraction/panel loops/clipping tricks of the hard surface Zbrush workflows. Pulling from a dynamesh surface, It’s never as clean as I want.

I spent my whole weekend investigating the new mesh mask tools in Zbrush, only to find them inadequate for overly fancy designs. (imho, what we need is a really fancy new polish algorithm that holds edges, corners, and doesn’t deflate… a man can dream!)

I finally gave up with experimentation and decided to try for some actual progress. I’m hoping to have most of the high poly complete before the month is over.

Slowly but surely. I’ll be able to finish a lot more over the weekend.

Not much done today, I’ll work on this more in the morning. I’ve got the lower arm more clearly blocked out.

1 Like

I found it easier to concept the hook itself in Maya. Now it’s time to get started on his coat :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I draw my patterns onto the cloth using the pen brush, and use polygroupit to create masks (for cloth sim, ect.) For the trim, I trace the pattern with retopo and apply dynamic subd.

From here, I get to have fun with Zbrush’s robust cloth sim tools and brushes. It’s coming along nicely so far! I have the center piece done. Tomorrow I"ll work on the sleeve and draping folds.

4 Likes

really loving how thats turning out especially the jacket!

1 Like

The coat is mostly complete. I’ll come back later at some point and add pockets and things.

Next up, I think I’ll clean up his head, hat, and improve the concept hair. So he’s nicer to look at in screenshots.

A dash of color for the concept. Nothing is certain, still messing with the overall design at the moment.

2 Likes

I recently got a new computer, and that took up a good chunk of my time. Now that I’m all set up I can do some more work on our Captain here.

I’ve cleaned up the hat and head, and given him some nicer looking placeholder hair with curves.

Next up: Boots!

I love making boots. :heart:

1 Like

Now for the pants and shirt. that stuff should be fun and easy. From there, the last bit is his weapons.

I expect to have the the high poly complete before monday. From there, it’s time for retopo! (oh, the joy… )

3 Likes

Since I’ve recently upgraded my copy of Marvelous Designer, I decided to have fun with it for the inner clothes, starting with the pants. The belt is just a lot of fun with the Project Primitive tool.

I can’t do too much on a workday, but later this evening I’ll get the shirt done as well.

1 Like

This leg part works pretty wellll, I don’t think my Peter Pan could bother Captain Hook this time. Keep up the good work :heart_eyes:

1 Like

lol! Thank you… I do want to put a robot Tinkerbell in the scene as well. We’ll see if I have the time… I think I can do it.

1 Like

Same, I’ll do it if I have enough time. Can’t wait to see your version :fist:

You did a big job! I like how you simulate clothes folds, did not expect that zbrush can do it so high quality

1 Like

Thank you. The pants are done in Marvelous, but I have found that Zbrush’s cloth tools are really cool :slight_smile:

I use dam standard and the polish brushes to sculpt in the scifi on his chest. I normally reserve straight-up sculpting for places like this, recessed areas that aren’t easily visible on the surface a lot of the time (although recently I’ve become more confident in the cleanliness I can achieve with sculpted work). Most of this detail will be under his coat at every other angle.

Now that all the clothing and body is complete, it’s time to focus on the accessories! The straps, pouches, and the weapons, in that order. Time to finally get the high poly off the drafting board and move into retopology.

4 Likes

All done! Now it’s finally time for retopo.

2 Likes

Topo groups and mirroring pieces are established. I’ve aimed at making the high-poly pieces close-fitting from the start, so retopology should be fast and easy. I aim to keep him under 30k quads.

As for the shoulder gun, I have other ideas for that; I don’t think I’m finished with that piece yet.

Your hard surface work is amazing! He looks great, can’t wait to see how you texture him

2 Likes