Warlock Challenge - VFX Character - Final Submissions

And it is done! My final submission for the Warlock Challenge. It was a challenge indeed, as I already mentioned in my WIP updates I unfortunetly encountered some issues with my mesh so I tried to make the best out of the final render. I am still happy with my result and I definetly improved my sculpting, texturing and lighting skills and my general workflow, so thank you for giving us this platform to grow as artists!

Final render:

Front, side, back and closeup view:

Technical:

WIP:

4 Likes

So here is my final image of my warlock ! I know I did not perfect and made a lot of mistakes but I did my best and I gonna push myself to get better,besides I did my first retopo ever . I still hope you guys gonna like it and feel the warlock vibe . I would appreciate any feedback . Thanks and have a nice day ! (By the way its rendered in PS and I guess I did wrong cause I didnt used any textures , but I dont wanted to leave the project so I still “finished” it )

Front

Left

Right

Back Side

Final Sculpts

UV`S

2 Likes

Here is my Submisson, Ramual the Dark Guardian. He is inspired from the world of Armello, an awesome game by League of Geeks. He may look gentle but tis all a facade to lure you into his wooded lair . He has resonated evil forces in the dark forests for centuries, conjuring up knowledge for his personal gain of protecting his home, the dark woods.

Concept By Sergey SerSpiriT
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gJPqXZ

Created In Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter and rendered in Unreal Engine

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this competition Flipped Normals, it’s been fun.

Here is my final submission.

Concept

Beauty Renders

Views

Textures

Wireframe
frontwireframe frontclosewireframe backwireframe

Link to WIP Thread:

And here is my fledgling Artstation:

1 Like

Down to the last hour xD Here’s my entry for the VFX Warlock Challenge–Zia’ka.
As I mentioned in the WIP thread, she isn’t my design, she is an NPC character created by Chris Zito (https://twitter.com/CzBacklash) for the Team Four Star D&D campaign, ‘The Natural Oneders’. She is a Yuan-ti (snake person) Tome-Warlock, whose powers are granted through a pact with an enormous elemental serpent called ‘The Collective One’.

This was a lot of fun to make and, while I’m under no illusions she’ll stand up to the competition here, this is easily the best piece I’ve done yet! So that’s exciting!

Final:

Turnarounds:

Wireframes:

Texture Overview:

Rig:

WIP Progression:

WIP Thread: [Warlock Challenge] - [Zia'ka]

Art Station:

GG everyone!!

2 Likes

Warlock Challenge - Coronalord

The beauty renders of my Warlock character design (the buildings in the foreground are extracted from Google Map):

Renders from different views:

Wireframe:

For texturing and shading, I prefer to do it procedurally if possible. So all the materials on the Coronalord are procedurally generated in Blender Cycles using the nodes:

WIP:

Sorry for the last-minute submission as I found this challenge only 2 days before the deadline, so I decided to modify a model I created during the recent quarantine. The original design was basically a coronavirus in funky style:

I also made a short animation demonstrating the model and the breakdown:

So, to fit the context of Warlock, I changed the text with some alien-ish font (read: COVID WARLOCK). And of course, added a pair of the iconic horns.

I created a low-poly virus model at the beginning so that I have a decent base mesh to work on later without worrying too much about the retopology:

To make the base mesh of the virus look alive, I cut out a mouth shape on the empty area of its surface and added teeth and tongue inside.

Some accessories were also being added to give it some personality, including the chain and the tongue piercing. I then did the retopology of the alien-ish text so that it could be curved around the sphere surface without causing any trouble on shading later.

The funky accessories and the alien-ish font alone are far from enough to make it look like a Warlock, so I created the iconic horns on top of its head. The design of the horn was inspired by the Illidan Stormrage from World of Warcraft:

2 Likes

Down to the wire!
Final

Front

Side

Back

Wireframes

Textures

It was fun!

1 Like