What’s up Warlock artists! This is my WIP for the awesome Warlock challenge. Currently finished “basemesh blockout” stage.
The character is based on the concept of guy called Sketch Goblin. Slightly modified though
The facial likeness was sourced from a bunch of photos of Luke Goss - dude who’ve played Prince Nuada in Hellboy 2: Golden Army.
Wish luck to all the participants and see you in couple of days with the lowpoly update
Blackout looks really good cant wait to see the detailing
Just finished head retopo. 1k > 4K for the first two profiles. The actual in-game version would be one subdiv higher I think, around 16-17k. I really want to squize inside 80k total, and the head along with the coat are potentially two heaviest pieces. Since the guy doesn’t have his body visible too much, it’d be as low as possibly can, saving the resolution.
Considering the highpoly head done. Added few secondary details along the way, like ring on a horn and spiky brows (saw that somewhere on Instagram and waited for chance to use it)
Garment retopology and accessories lowpolies are done as well. That really took quite an effort
I’ve tried to do the belt with actual holes, but it was baking normal maps rather poorly for smoothed version. I modeled it flat first, then did couple of test bends to mark the places for holes, and used booleans to finish them off. That left me with n-gones in lowpoly, which I’ve fixed in high poly. However I couldn’t setup high/lowpoly correspondence to bake properly so I’ve ditched that idea in favor of imitating the holes further down the line… Want to tackle it after the challenge as a small side-project so it doesn’t consume too much time now. Hope I’ll find the way to prep topology the right way in order to avoid using booleans Any tips, tricks and advices are very appreciated
Sculpted details for the hands. Went a bit overboard, especially with the palmar side, considering it’s going to be covered by the bracer, but anyways)
It’s about time to tackle clothing.
Finally got nicer results with sword normal map baking. Thanks to @Fepuo
I’ll consider this as a final bake for the sword prop. Texturing is probably going to stay fairly subtle and lightweight
Just finished my 1st of 2 UV sets, dedicated to garment and clothing accessories
Looks great, really natural looking folds!
Glad you like it! Thanks you. Some love was put in those folds
Almost done with technical stuff. 2nd UV pack for body along with the sword
Actual body is a complete placeholder, so i’ve sacrificed the space for it quite a bit
Going under 80k tris total so far
Color coded my dude for texturing reference
First pass of texturing and some pose research. No hair yet. Rendered in Marmoset
Textures done. Trying to keep it pale and simple
Let it be the final pose. He’s “about to” pull the sword out of the ground, if someone’s wondering