Vampire bat/werewolf hybrid

Hi all, like many of you this will be my first Flipped Normals challenge (first challenge in general). Hope to just enjoy the experience and learn along the way.

I’ll be doing something along the lines of a vampire/bat/wolf. Taking the inspiration mostly from the 97 Dracula movie with Gary Oldman as the titular character.

Will post wips as I go along.

Software: Zbrush, Blender, Substance Painter, Photoshop.

Good luck everyone!

1 Like

Some retopo and uvs

retopopoed Head

First pass high frequency (still a few more passes to go)

2 Likes

Before I forget… References!

1 Like

Second pass (hf)

Third pass (hf)

1 Like

texture/roughness/scattering

First low re renders of bust

trying to work on volumetric heavy fog in blender (also added some eyes

working on some grooming

1 Like

wireframe

Front, side, Back

render test

1 Like

Shirt and blazer with some textures made in the Blender shader

welp, looks like I may be out of the race :weary:. Now that I know a bust won’t be enough and that it needs to be a full model sculpt I’ve had to start again (almost). Either way, working on a full body now. Not sure if I will have time to do a retool by hand in blender so may end up being done in Zbrush (remsher). Will see how it goes. Ever onwards :muscle:

Still at the early stages, and will need plenty of adjustment and refinement. hopefully all goes well. Also added some extra details to the face to make him look less like a monkey :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

So I have finally managed to retopo the full body in Blender and opened it in Zbrush!. Mind you it’s been a mad dash to get this done coupled with work, life etc. I can honestly say that I am learning a bunch for this challenge (and challenging myself). I have never done a full body retopo, hence why it looks so horrid. But alas, you live, you practise, you learn.

Not entirely sure I will have enough time to finish this and make it nice. I have already seen many wonderful WIPS and most certainly feel highly inadequate (kind of makes me wish I went to school for this stuff).

Nevertheless, onwards and onwards. Back to Zbrush, then Substance, and finally back to Blender for a redo on hair grooming.

As we near crunch time, a massive good luck yo you all!!

Ok, so I think I have caught up a decent amount after restarting. Mostly done with skin break up and integration for now. Next I’ll move on to pores and then finally should be able to get back in to Substance Painter to finish off texturing this fellow.

The body is not great as I’ve been struggling under the time constraints and my experience with full bodies is severely lacking. At least once this is all done I can start the Flipped Normals anatomy videos to expand my knowledge base and skill set. Onwards on onwards!!

1 Like

This is looking great! Only 5 days left of the challenge now, I hope you’ll finish in time :smiley:

1 Like

Thank Emilie, will do my best!

1 Like

Wireframe -

Render test -

Using AgX in Blender and trying to figure out all the niggles.

3 Likes

If you haven’t already done it, remember to post your result in the final submissions thread today so your work can be considered for one of the prizes :slight_smile: Only a few hours left to go now! Countdown Timer – Countdown to Nov 23, 2023 in London, England

1 Like