The Creepy Piper of Hamelin

Greetings my friend!
So I thought that the pied piper of Hamelin would be a nice fit for this challenge. I’ve actually been in Hamelin quite often because I used to live a couple of minutes away from there. When I was a kid I even paricipated in a small art exhibition and got 10€ from a very kind old Man because he really liked my saiyan like Piper. So why not try again?
This is my first time participating in a 3d-challenge and I’m really excited!

I am thinking of a creepy and mysterious version of the piper who can control really big and dangerous zombie rats using his flute. He’s like a necromancer who charges a horde of zombie rats to you and then let them explode when they reach you. For my concept I photobashed all kinds of stuff that looked nice (and of course the necromancer from Diablo 2: Resurrected). I would love to hear from you what you think. What is cool, what is stupid and what can be much better or smarter.

Alright, then. Let’s have some fun! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I really like this idea, can’t wait to see the final product! You have some great references for your concept too. I’m just wondering if you’re leaning more towards an armored look or a more like a robed monk look? Or a mixture of both?

Also, I think if you gave the pipe a cool necromancer twist that would be sick!

Good luck, you got this! :smiley:

Awesome, thanks! :slight_smile:
I think I will go for a more robed monk like look. It’s quite a big cloth challenge for me :sweat_smile:. And yes, the flute can definitely get some necromancer style :skull: :sunglasses:
Thanks, and also good look to you! :slight_smile:

More than a week has passed and I think it’s time for an update.
I started by opening up Daz3D and messing around with some sliders until I got a result that I was happy with aaaand I’m done :slight_smile:
…well not quite, but at least it’s a very good base mesh and a good Avatar for Marvelous Designer. Until now I have been trying to make some believable clothing and I’m still struggling with it. I’ve looked up some historical patterns and made some of them up by myself but I’m still searching for the right fit. I once again feel that Marvelous Designer pain like I’m trying to build a tent in the middle of a hurricane without knowing the instructions. I will try to make it fit better, make it look a bit cooler and do some accessoires but I hope I can move on to Zbrush as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Alright! Two weeks have passed since my last update and one month in total and I still haven’t sculpted a thing. This will change now that I’m happy with the cloth and pose of the character. It was important for me to use Marvelous Designer for the most part because I want to learn the software and patternmaking and because I can’t sculpt cloth. Also I really wanted to give the basemesh an animation so the cloth would go nicely with the new pose. This wouldn’t have worked if I posed the character later down the road. And the wind looks quite cool too I think! I would love to hear from you what you people think! I’m looking forward to work on that second month time! :slight_smile:
cheers!

5 Likes

You are so good in operating MD! Outfit looks too real

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile: I still have to learn a lot but it’s getting better each time I use it. I can only recommend using that program!

1 Like

Much time has passed and I think I’ll leave most parts of the character as they are now. Many parts already have good quad topology with several subdivision levels but the silhouette does not look nice on lower levels so there is still some topology work to do. Also I really want to give the old man a zombie rat as a companion. I’m getting really excited towards the next few days as there is not much time left but I’ll work on it until it’s done! So far I pretty much like my work. I would love to hear some critique from you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fantastic work on the clothing! Really hope to see you finish this in time for the deadline :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Emilie! :slight_smile:
And yes, I’m late and feeling the pressure but I’ll finish it. Today I can finally start texturing :relieved:

Alright, so this is the current stage I’m at. It’s the lowpoly character with his new friend and normal maps. The whole scene now consists of 98.888 tris.

For the rat I started off from another mesh I found here: https://www.3dcadbrowser.com/3d-model/rat-house
that really made my life easier as it’s the first animal I worked on. It was really fun and I wish I had more time.

It’s a shame that I will only have one and a half days left for texturing the whole thing but a deadline is a deadline. I wish you all a good last sprint! :slight_smile:

2 Likes