Horror Challenge - The Unborn

Hello everyone! I’m excited to be joining the horror challenge. I only became aware of the challenge a few days ago, but I quickly got working on a concept to work from. I took inspiration from some of my favorite games, such as Bloodborne, and other awesome concepts I could find online. Here are some images of the steps I took to make the concept. I’m open to any suggestions for the design. Excited to get working on the model! Hope everyone is having an awesome time!

1 Like

Images while working on the concept…

3 Likes

Hello everyone! It has been a while since I posted updates, but I have been working hard on getting this model started. First, I created a basic block-out that I used as a reference for posing. I was going to make the model just one still but then decided to create the mother and son in A pose so that I could rig and pose in other ways. I think that was the smarter play since it helped with knowing the anatomy and flexibility of my reference image, it should feel more realistic posing.

Son body base

I learned very quickly, that my model was not the right proportions to be able to have that very unnatural bent back from the concept I made. So I had to make this boy LONGER.

Got the characters posed with simple rigs. I am happy I believe it resembles the concept fairly well. Now I want to go back to adding lots more detail to the high poly models. With a week left, I think I want to focus on adding as much detail as possible, to create nice textures. I will post more this week than the last! Awesome stuff from everyone, I’m excited to see everyone’s final models and renders.

1 Like

Oooh this has a lot of potential! Only 5 days left of the challenge now, I hope you’ll finish in time :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! I’m sure I got this!

1 Like

Highpoly done. I know that I could sit here and really get more detail in, and really aim for realism, but I have 5 days, I should move on. Still, it’s good enough, and I think I can achieve a good final look with textures.

If you haven’t already done it, remember to post your result in the final submissions thread today so your work can be considered for one of the prizes :slight_smile: Only a few hours left to go now! Countdown Timer – Countdown to Nov 23, 2023 in London, England

Thanks for the reminder! Submitting everything in now :slight_smile:

This competition was a blast. I am very happy to have participated. I will post some of my WIP items and final renders here just to have it all in one place. Good luck to all, loved seeing the different projects come together!

Work in progress images. Modeled and Rendered in Blender, textured in Substance Painter.

Total Tris was 426,768. Not too shabby since it was 2 characters after all. I liked how the textures came out, with more time I would have definitely kept refining them (I definitely took advantage of the additional two days :sweat_smile:)

Final renders, and some side views. Oh and an additional render. Could have found some more interesting angles, but I wanted to keep it simple!