Film Noir Red Riding Hood

Ok, suuuuuuuper late to the party but thought I’d give this a go. Wanted to do something film noir themed and settled on Red Riding Hood as a sort of femme fatale. I’m kinda making this up as I go and picking up ideas as I see them.

Blocked in the body, face and hair and made some clothes in Marvelous that I’ll work over in ZBrush seeing as I do not know how to work Marvelous properly!

Reference Board:

Block out in Marvelous

Lots and lots of work to do so let’s see how far I can get in a month :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Love the concept, great work already! Can’t wait to see the results! :wolf:

1 Like

Made some shoes this afternoon, I’ll clean them up as I go and see if there’s anything else I can fix as I go

5 Likes

Some updates to the clothing. Please ignore the arms and hands, I have not touched them and they are horrible

3 Likes

Small update. Made a little basket and a broach for her capelet. Took advantage of nanomesh for the basket which will make it easier to bake down. I’m hoping to get more detail in the texturing phase to trying to power through the high poly

3 Likes

Re-made the capelet because I really didn’t like it!

3 Likes

Your clothes are freakin’ clean :ok_hand:

Thank you so much! Clothing is always such a struggle for me, I feel like I leaned quite heavily on Marvelous Designer for this one!

Detailed the hair, face and hands so pretty much done with the high poly but I always pick at it before I bake. Working on retopo now and also thinking about how the heck you make a gun as I’ve never done it before!

4 Likes

Love your stylization approach! Pretty face, I think works good for noir setting. Good luck mate!

Thank you so much! Hoping I can get some nice work out of the textures :smiley:

Retopo pretty much done. Will probably tweak some things around the legs, probably add some loops, we’ll see. Still working on her props but hoping to get texturing soon!

1 Like

Wow, you fast! How many polys you`ve got?

Thanks! I had some late nights after work just powering through this retopo to be honest. Last count, including props, I’m around 32,500 triangles

Been working on textures for about a week now, going back and forth between materials and seeing what works. I originally had a wool material for the cape, but I like the velvet better

Oh, I also made a gun! I am not a hard-surface artist so please don’t judge me too harshly

3 Likes

Been playing about with poses and tweaking render setups for the last few days in between texturing. I kinda like this pose, but it’s a bit bland so I’ll keep working

2 Likes

I like how she came out! Good job all around : ) I’m in the same boat, I have a couple different poses, and I keep bouncing back and forth between UE and Marmoset : (… Starting to get nervous, days are coming to an end!

1 Like

Thanks! She’s been fun to work on but I’m worried it’s not enough, you know? But I can’t wait to see all of the finished entries, your frog Prince looks awesome inside UE4

1 Like

Thank you I appreciate that. It’s been an interesting adventure to say the least. I’ve got a lot of plans for the future not just with Phroggo, but some other characters soon. Hopefully I can bust some more out before I finish school next year!

1 Like

OK, new pose and new light setup. My initial plan was always to have this in black and white with the red hood and lips, inspired by Sin City so that will hopefully be my next update!

4 Likes